Wednesday, September 16, 2009

older

So I'll be 30 in about two months. It doesn't sound that old to some people. In comparison, my 90-year-old grandma was 30 back in 1948. If I live as long as her, this could be the beginning, a sort of prolonged youth.

Today was what could be thought of as a normal day. Marta to school in the AM. Anna's scholastic future undecided. If we only watched her, she'd wind up getting tutored by Elmo and Harold all the time because life demands we be online. Anna loves Elmo. I like him too. He's a funny fuzzy red little guy. So I envision something more cooperative for her. She's still so small. Only 2 years and 2 months.

I watch the American health care debate from afar. People ask me at conferences, why doesn't America cover everyone, like everywhere else. I tell them, the private insurance companies are very influential, and politicians depend on them for their livelihood. There you have it.

My kids are refreshingly apolitical. Marta knows that Obama is president. That's it. She has no memory of Bush. Estonian politics? We have local elections here in a month, but she is blissfully unaware. If she ever catches me watching a political show on TV she tells me to turn it off. She wants to watch H20. I asked her how school was: "Marta, how was school?" "Mmm. I don't know." I remember giving the same answers. How do you respond? What happens in school, stays in school.

No comments: