Tuesday morning, up at 8 am to begin transcribing more of the 10 interviews I recorded at the conference in Tallinn, then off to Veski to bring Marta to school. Marta seems to be enjoying it. Today, she told me that she wants to be a doctor, so she can "see under people's skin." I actually think it's not a bad career choice -- the world needs doctors, right? Her school is near a Catholic school. She said that sometimes they see the nuns. She didn't know the word though ("You know, they wear black and white.") The kids from the Catholic school and her school play on the same playground. Some even remember her from when she was there a year and a half ago.
Anna still has a little cold and has bandaids on her face so that she doesn't scratch her remaining bug bites as they finally heal for good. I estimate by the end of this week, her cheeks will be all better. Poor little kid.
We talked about Soviet realism in class. One task was to discuss Estonian women's magazines from the 1950s. Did you know that back then, men were not even allowed in the delivery room? Birth seems like it was a very sterile and modern affair to be handled by professionals only.
5 comments:
She said that sometimes they see the nuns. She didn't know the word though ("You know, they wear black and white.")
"Penguins"
Is what we called them... : )
I so hope she is doing well in school.
But do you know the priest in the Catholic Church, isa Miguel? If you haven't met him, I'd suggest you should!
Black&While ppl are penguins for me too :P
Ilusat kooliaastat!
Did you know that men were not allowed in the delivery room even in 1990!!!
ah yes, it's true, my father told me. My bro was born on 1990...
The child birthing process was not very woman/baby friendly in the Soviet Union back then. I remember reading about it almost 38 years ago and thinking that I was very happy to be here and pregnant with my first child.
Post a Comment