Saturday, March 14, 2009

so hungry

Yesterday I took Marta to gymnastics. As we pulled out of the driveway, she noticed that it was sunny outside and there were birds chirping in the trees. Marta asks:


Why are there birds outside?

Because soon the snow is going to melt and it will be
spring.


Spring! Then I can go outside and run and hop and kill bugs.

Hop huh? Like a bunny rabbit?

Yeah, like a bunny rabbit. What do bunny rabbits eat?

They eat, I don't know, carrots and grass.

But not bugs?

Only if they are really hungry.

What about frogs?

Frogs eat bugs and hop.

Maybe I'll be a frog instead of a bunny rabbit. I like bugs, especially ladybugs.

Marta looks out the window and sighs.

Boy, am I hungry. I am so hungry I could eat a giraffe!

Giraffes are pretty big, honey. You could probably only eat half a giraffe.

Or a bird. I'm so hungry I could eat a whole bird.

I bet you could.

You know, I am so hungry that if I was, uh, the same size as a ladybug I could eat a frog. That's how hungry I am.

Don't worry, Marta, when we get home we'll have dinner.


1 comment:

Martasmimi said...

Oh Justin this story made me smile.
I can just see her face and hear her voice.
This was much like the conversations you and I would have had in the car..
She is so your daughter in many ways..
She is so very much my grandaudie too...
I miss her very much.

* Spring is here Miss Marta, birds are chirping and our flowers are starting to bloom...and bugs are coming too!