Wednesday, February 25, 2009

say aah!

I know I sometimes paint Marta like a melodramatic person, and she is in many ways. But sometimes I must admit that when I watch her I get incredibly strong flashbacks from my own childhood. Maybe all parents get these from their children.

Marta likes to stand on the bed and sing along to music. This reminded me of how I could perform whole segments of Little Shop of Horrors. My favorite was Steve Martin's song about being a dentist. I would grab a fake microphone and do the whole scene.

The trouble is that a lot of my childhood media is no longer appropriate for children. Like, Little Shop of Horrors is about a giant plant from space that feeds on blood. Steve Martin's character gets chopped up into little pieces and fed to the plant. Somehow, I didn't feel like explaining this to Marta. But I showed it to her anyway, and she loved it!

Now she says:

I want to see that song!

Which song, Marta?

You know, the one that goes 'dum dum dum'?

Huh? Which song is that?

[Marta gets frustrated and thinks]

You know, the one where the man says, "Say Aaah!"

Oh, that song!

1 comment:

Martasmimi said...

I remember you singing that song and "Little Shop of Horrors".
You were a happy fun kid!