Tuesday, October 5, 2010

minyazawhat?

I really don't want to be one of those parents who pigeonholes his or her child early on and then is immensely disappointed when little Johnny decides to be a bartender instead of an astronaut.

Still, you notice things about your kids. You notice that they take to some things more than others. And I think Marta enjoys learning new languages. She speaks two languages natively -- English and Estonian. We have been to Spain twice (and there are plenty of Spanish speakers in New York) so Marta has learned Spanish as a second foreign language.

She has actually requested Spanish computer games so she can learn. She also sometimes has requested to watch Mary Poppins in Spanish (and also in French a few times too). I've taught her some Italian. The only word she usually remembers is "bambola" (doll).

Now, in school, she is learning Russian. This presents a challenge to me, because I don't know Russian. She's running around yelling, "Minya zavut Marta," and asking me questions that start with "Kak" that I don't know how to answer. But that doesn't hurt her exuberance. I was worried Marta was only interested in playing with her friends and being a comedienne, but it seems there is some student in her. She is finally happy to be learning something. I am happy too.

3 comments:

Martasmimi said...

Justin said........

I really don't want to be one of those parents who pigeonholes his or her child early on and then is immensely disappointed when little Johnny decides to be a bartender instead of an astronaut.
...still you notice things about your child like....

Hopefully a good parent does notice their child's interests and strengths.
I am sure there are parents that see these things at an early age and set out to reinvent their child ...
No flute for you, where is that basketball we gave you?

*Yes we made you play basketball and other sports but I think we were hoping for you to be a well rounded, person, and be able to speak (sports) if it was socially necessary .
I hope there are times when you are happy for those days on the field at Soccer, Lacrosse or even Football and that those times added positively to who or how you are in the "man" part of the world today.

You were always a creative child and loved books.
We read to you endlessly and when you learned to read and to write you always kept a journal.
Your 1st Blog!
I think they helped you early on in school with creative writing by encouraging you to write stories at the age of 5 and 6, at first assisted by an older (mentor) student and then on your own when you were able to do so.
I knew that whatever you would do in life you would need to write.
Going to GWU for Foreign Policy & Journalism seemed to be the perfect place for you.
I am not sure anything is "perfect" but I think it was the best fit for your wants & needs at the time.
I hope that there have been times when you felt that it was a worthwhile 4 years.

Your brother Ian loved TV..and was a very creative and good artist even at an early age.
He was always a terrific athlete and not always a willing student.
Sometimes in frustration I would say to him "I hope when you grow up they have jobs for people who like to stare at a TV screen and draw all day."
Well by the time he grew up, they did and so he got his degree from NYIT in computer graphics and advertising.
One of the best schools for the Art & Ad world.
Ian was always great at "the schmooze" blessed with people skills and "winning" personality he eventually found his way into the client side of the Ad business.
Today he is most successful at what he does.

* Would my sons have turned out the way they are today if they had a different mother ... they would have to answer that question but I hope that I watched and listened and tried to push their "gifts" and strengths and yes sometimes their weaknesses by making Justin play sports and taking Ian to see the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center but my hope was always to raise loving, well balanced sons who would be good husbands and fathers and be kind and open to other people and the choices that they have made in their lives.

Mom

Giustino said...

Thanks Mom. My comment was not a comment on my own upraising. More on some of the trends in childrearing over the past 20+ years.

Martasmimi said...

Giustino said...
Thanks Mom. My comment was not a comment on my own upraising. More on some of the trends in childrearing over the past 20+ years.

I never thought it was...