Monday, May 4, 2009

liisa's birthday

Yesterday was Liisa's fifth birthday. We actually met Liisa for the first time years ago when her parents Ott and Tiina came to visit us in Belle Harbor.


Marta and Liisa were just little girls then. Now they have a highly developed little girl language, filled with references to farting, pooping, peeing, and a mixture of all (see below).


Marta is a big girl these days in that she doesn't need/want to be watched. I followed Epp and Anna into Ott and Tiina's house in Karlova, and checked up regularly on Marta to see if she was ok. She was. She is very social and is chatting up others just like an adult, even more so.


Marta has undergone a major development in recent weeks. She can read. Not big words or even sentences, but she can read, and she is interested in learning more. All the time she is pointing out things, and even writing words on her drawings. There wasn't much writing at Liisa's birthday party though, just a lot of climbing, as you can see:







Anna really likes being surrounded by such crazy girls, and she tried to participate when she can. But she is still small, so she spent her time playing with Liisa's little brother Kaarel, who is three months younger than she is. See, Ott and Tiina and us are on the same family creation schedule.


As you can see, Anna made short work of Liisa and Kaarel's swing set. She really thought that she could climb to the top and then down the otherside. Maybe she could, if left alone, but who would want to risk finding out?


Anna has also been developing lately. Her first English words are coming. Last month, when we went to New York, she finally said English words -- "fish" and "flower." Over the past few days, she has said "bee," "honey," and today she said "people." We were sitting on the steps and I said, "Do you see the people jogging?" and she answered by saying "people" and pointing at all the people who past our house.


This made me really happy. I understand how hard it must be for her to learn two languages at the same time. But she also knows the word for "bee" in Estonian -- she says "mõmmi" short for "mesimõmm" -- so she is actually bilingual.


The strategy we used with Marta was one parent, one language. So I told her that I say "bee" and Emme says "mõmmi." Anna even said "emme mõmmi" after I told her this. Epp said that the other night she said a sentence -- "Õde tuttub" -- sister is sleeping. So far Anna has just issued commands, like "Adn! 'ua" (Justin, juua/Justin! Drink!). She always calls Marta "Õde" -- sister. She knows Marta's name, but to Anna, Marta is "sister." Kind of funny that I am the only person in our little family who she calls by name.


Before I forget, I should also tell you that Anna is expressing her knowledge of popular culture. She knows how to say "Eloise, that's me" from the theme song to the Eloise cartoons, and tonight she pointed at the room where we have our TV and said very firmly "Pippi!" I thought she was saying "baby," but when I checked the DVD player, Pippi Longstocking was already in. She must have known that Pippi was still in the player, and she wanted to use it. So I gave her Pippi, which she watches with great interest.


Kaarel also knows pop culture. He mostly keeps to himself; I think Liisa and Marta were either born in an extroverted year or older siblings are just naturally more wild and crazy. But when Kaarel dropped a little toy Teletubby, he said, "Teletupsu kukkus" -- the Teletubby fell!. Here is a picture of Kaarel. He's pretty cute.


When we left the party, Marta made sure to tease Liisa one more time. "Farewell, butt!" yelled Liisa to Marta. "Good day, fart!" Marta yelled back. I couldn't help but laugh, but Epp said it doesn't sound as endearing to a native speaker.

8 comments:

Eppppp said...

Well, actually "bee" is "mesimumm" in Estonian, not "mesimõmm".
"Mõmmi" is a "teddy-bear" in Estonian.
"Mumm" is how you can call a bee..
You may have confused Anna a little (or she has confused you :).

Giustino said...

"Mumm" and "Mõmm" sound very similar to me.

Anonymous said...

On the topic of playing mostly alone v. with others - is it a boy/girl thing? As much as I dislike gender stereotyping, having lately had multiple opportunities of observing a group of two year-olds, girls are a team (not always a friendly one), whereas boys tend to keep to themselves. Or maybe it's a general developmental thing, boys being little slower than girls. Oh hey, who cares.

Giustino said...

I can't speak for toddlers, but boys in general seem more hyper and seem to enjoy picking up sticks and turning them into swords, machine guns, what have you.

Martasmimi said...

Why did I think that "Potty " talk was a US thing..glad to hear it's not or perhaps is it that Marta is still a New York girl and brought it with her?

Tiina said...

Oh at first I thought this is our family thing - Liisa has learned this from her nieces - but now I have seen many other kids who enjoy "potty talk". Liisa's nieces could go on for hours singing "songs" where words are of this type and giggle, giggle, giggle. It seems to me this "potty talk" has some kind of social function for them - it guarantees that everyone (of their age) will be laughing, will get along well and have good time together. I wonder what is the function of similar dirty language among certain grown-ups (f.ex construction workers)?

Eppppp said...

Perhaps the same function :).

Martasmimi said...

Perhaps this "potty talk" is the earliest form of rebellion...the beginning of breaking away from parental control.
They know it's not going to make grownups happy (with the exception of Popa because sometimes I think he is frozen at this developmental stage) and this is part of the attraction.... and it is their way of bonding up together as a group and becoming separate from their parents.. the beginnings of the "them" the parents or teachers, and "us", the children a benign version of William Goldens, Lord of the Flies required Child Psyche reading when I went to school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies