Monday, April 21, 2008

some friends

Marta sees her friends on a daily basis. I thought I would write a bit about each and how different friends bring out different sides of Marta's personality.

Leenu, age 6

Before they became friends, Marta actually had an encounter with Leenu one day on the road. I was carrying Marta home on my shoulders from school and there was a little girl walking on the side of the street.

Marta asked me, 'what's her name?' I said I didn't know, but that Marta should ask her. Finally she got up the courage to ask, but the little girl ignored her and turned into her yard.

Fast forward about two months and Epp gave me the assignment of dropping off Marta at her friend Kärt's house. And who should be her new playmate, but the same little girl. Somehow, through Epp's friendship with Kärt, Marta began playing with Leenu. Leenu likes Marta because she is silly and I like it that they play together because Leenu is as rough with Marta as Marta is with Anna. Marta sometimes needs to be put in her place. For instance, Marta likes to pick up Anna and drag her around. But Leenu does the same to Marta.

Leenu has been trying to work on my Estonian pronunciation. "It's not "Nok-ia," she says. "It's Nok-i-a."

Riinu, age 4

Riinu is Helen's daughter. I have been very surprised by Riinu because she appears to be a quiet and unassuming Estonian child, but when she gets together with Marta it turns into a rock'n'roll concert.

Last summer I remember how the two of them stood on a bench in the backyard screaming and singing together. It was definitely a frightening experience. They also like to dress up. I consider her an accomplice in princess enthusiasm.

Riinu has a brother named Pärtel. He is about six months older than Anna and he doesn't talk much, but he has left an impression on Marta. Marta quietly confided in me that she would like a brother "like Pärtel." However, she told Epp and I that she would like to name this brother after Leenu's mom, "Kärt."

Paul, age 4

I wasn't there the day Tiia brought her son Paul over to play the first time in New York. But I heard that some sort of tornado hit our living room, leaving furniture toppled from corner to corner.

There is some sort of *spark* that occurs when Marta and Paul get together. It's like an anything-goes demolition derby. It's a bit less crazy than it used to be, but still ... together these two enjoy creating mayhem.

Paul is one of the few little boys in our life that can talk. Because of our mixed contexts I occasionally speak to him in Estonian and occasionally in English. What I say, though, doesn't matter because it would take a nation of millions to hold these two kids back once they have set their minds to something like throwing stones in a pond or running wildly through a zoo.

I like Paul because he is always willing to engage in a sword fight, even if the sword is a stick or a balloon. It is also fun to watch Tiia tell him to stop doing whatever crazy stunt he is engaged in. It makes me feel good when other parents discipline their children. It makes me feel that we are not alone in this world and that our troubles are shared by others.

4 comments:

mutukas said...

It's definitely good to know another kid as crazy as my own! Otherwise, I'd be really worried. In the beginning, it was a total catastrophe with these two - but at least an entertaining one! We were laughing at least as hard as they were screaming :)

Eppppp said...

They - Paul and Marta - look extraordinary calm on that photo!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.

Helen said...

I had a really good laugh!
And it's really fun if someone outside your family writes about your kids. I mean, we are so used to our kids that we can't imagine how other people see them.
Maybe you or Epp can sometimes write about a typical day in "School at Marta's"?