Sunday, November 11, 2007

Different babies

Today we visited our friends Ott and Tiina who welcomed towards the end of October a new member to their family, a baby boy named ... well, he doesn't quite have a name yet.

He is being called varyingly "poiss" (boy) or "vend" (brother) -- he has an older sister named Liisa. According to Ott, they have five names picked out for the little loaf of baby ... Jaagup, Kaarel, Mihkel, Mattias, and Gustav. They can't decide which one they like most.

I somewhat selfishly told Ott that I favored Gustav. Why? Because I already know babies named Mattias and Jaagup and you can't swing a grocery bag around Kaubamaja, the department store in Tartu, without hitting someone named Mihkel. But Gustav? It's distinct. I'll never have any trouble remembering his name.

But it's up to them to wait until one strikes them. There's another funny thing though. Baby ? doesn't look anything like Anna. I always thought babies all sort of looked the same -- round heads, tuffs of hair, chubby cheeks, button nose ... that kind of thing.

But "Question Mark" (what I have decided to call him in homage to the 1960s garage band) doesn't look anything like Anna. He has tufts of dark brown hair. He is lacking in cheeks, he's got wider cheek bones. In short, he's a totally different baby.